Advocacy and Service
Advocacy & Service is a Social Justice group of Murray UU Church whose mission is to create a better world in which to live. This is accomplished through educational programs, volunteering for community-based programs that improve the local community and to support financially, with our voices, and our actions, the global effort to create a just world. Some of our goals are:
- To provide opportunities for members and friends of the congregation to participate in social service projects, including collecting money, donating food and clothing, and supporting area shelters and youth programs.
- Enable members and friends to witness about social issues, including writing letters and visiting elected officials, writing letters to the editor of our local newspaper.
- Develop public statements in the name of the committee or where appropriate, in the name of the congregation.
- Use the special talents of congregation members to implement change.
- Ensure that the congregation building is used to facilitate social change: open building for community groups, allow controversial groups to meet.
- Suggest the congregation’s financial resources are used for moral ends: ethical investing of endowment funds; fundraising for community projects.
- Strengthen alliances with area organizations such as Resource Center, Project Bread and Council of Churches.
Black Lives Matter
Join the Conversation – more opportunities to learn more about the experience of people of color and to do better in conversations about color and race. We will continue our journey of listening & learning, of asking & understanding.
The Green Sanctuary Program provides a path for congregational study, reflection, and action in response to environmental challenges..
Donec rutrum congue leo eget malesuada. Sed porttitor lectus nibh. Pellentesque in ipsum id orci porta dapibus. Vivamus suscipit tortor eget felis porttitor volutpat.
Murray’s Social Concerns Committee was created as an offshoot of our continued involvement with social action, locally, regionally and globally.
We are an all-volunteer-run outreach program of Murray Unitarian Universalist Church. This service is provided by the generosity of the church members and friends in the greater Attleboro community. We are open for grocery bag distribution two days a week on Mondays & Thursdays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Food n’ Friends Soup Kitchen
Third Saturday of the month
Murray Church coordinates the Food n’ Friends Soup Kitchen visits on the last Saturday of the month. Help is needed from 8:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. at the Centenary United Methodist Church, located on the corner of 39 North Main and 15 Sanford Street, across from the Attleboro YMCA.