Music adds a rich dimension to our worship services
Our Director of Music, Dennis Ferguson, provides a music program that stimulates and challenges the congregation. The Adult Choir offers an impressive range of solo and group songs. The Murray Musicians frequently contribute to our services.
The Music Committee serves as advisor on all musical activities of the church and originates musical programs to enrich church life.
They are responsible for the development of music for the Sunday worship programs and for other special music programs; development of special music programs, including encouraging the development of musical appreciation in the church through special Sunday services and concerts; maintenance of musical instruments; development of long-term plans for the music program; support and supervision of the Director of Music and publicity for church music events.
The Murray Choir
The Murray Choir provides anthems and supports the music program for Sunday Service, Christmas Eve, and other special services. Members of the Choir are required to attend choir rehearsals twice a week, present choral selections to the congregation as part of the worship services, and attend church services as requested by the Director of Music.
Hook and Hastings Organ 1882 Opus 1111 Organ
Our organ has tracker action in which there is mechanical linkage between the keys or pedals when pressed by the organist and the valve that allows air to flow into pipe(s) of the corresponding note. This is in contrast to electrical or electro-pneumatic actions, which connect the key to the valve through an electrical link or an electrically assisted pneumatic system, respectively1. Per the Organ Historical Society Database, we are able to provide you with the following information about our organ:
- 2 manuals. 14 speaking stops. 17 ranks.
- Slider chests. Mechanical key action.
- Additional notes.
- The original builder was Hook & Hastings (1882, Opus 1111). (OHS PC Database. 2004-10-30)
- Status Note: There 1996. (OHS PC Database. 2004-10-30)
- Relocated from St. James Episcopal, Franklin Square, L. I., NY c. 1992. Rebuild.